Speech and Language Centre at Colville
What are we?
- We are an Enhanced Provision within Colville for children with a profile of significant speech, language and communication needs (SLCN). We have places for up to 12 children, across Key Stage 1 and 2. We take children from Years 1 – 6 from across Cambridgeshire.
- As an enhanced resource we are open only to pupils with an EHCP.
- Our classrooms are housed within the main school and are staffed by specialist teachers, teaching assistants and specialist speech and language therapists.
- While the centre staff will be involved in assessing whether or not a child's needs can be met, the actual admission decision is taken by Student Assessment and not the school/Speech and Language Centre.
What we offer:
- Specialist small group teaching in the speech and language centre, including specialist interventions such as; Shape Coding by Susan Ebbels, Word Aware and narrative therapy.
- A bespoke approach to learning according to a child’s profile of needs.
- Integration pathways allowing pupils to get specialist teaching and whole class teaching in a progressive way throughout their time at the centre.
- Strong KS1 phonics teaching as part of a whole class and/or mainstream group.
- Individualised packages of support with direct and indirect speech and language therapy with specialist speech and language therapists and teaching assistants to support children’s individual speech, language and communication development.
- A strong focus on emotional well- being. We make use of Zones of Regulation and Lego Therapy to develop communication skills.
- A diverse and inclusive mainstream experience with mainstream teachers that are highly skilled at providing for children with communication difficulties.
Helpful links for parents;
https://radld.org/ Raising Awareness of Developmental Language Disorder
https://www.afasic.org.uk/ Afasic seeks to raise awareness and create better services and provision for children and young people with speech and language impairments.