Speech and Language Centre at Colville
What are we?
- We are an Enhanced Provision within Colville for children with a profile of significant speech, language and communication needs (SLCN). We have places for up to 16 children, across Key Stage 1 and 2. We take children from Years 1 – 6 from across Cambridgeshire.
- We have two classes housed within the main school staffed by specialist teachers, teaching assistants and specialist speech and language therapists.
- We have entry criteria and entry to the provision is decided by the resourcing panel at Student Assessment
What we offer:
- Specialist small group teaching in the speech and language centre for Maths and English including specialist interventions such as; Shape Coding by Susan Ebbels, Word Aware and narrative therapy.
- A bespoke approach to learning according to a child’s profile of needs.
- Mainstream intervention in the afternoons that is supported by specialist teaching assistants using a needs based approach (we provide adult support for subjects that require support whilst also encouraging the development of independent learning behaviours and strong links to mainstream classes.)
- Intensive Speech and Language therapy using both direct and indirect therapy with specialist speech and language therapists and teaching assistants.
- A strong focus on emotional well- being. We make use of Zones of Regulation and Lego Therapy to develop communication skills.
- A diverse and inclusive mainstream experience with mainstream teachers that are experienced in including children with communication difficulties.
Helpful links for parents;
https://radld.org/ Raising Awareness of Developmental Language Disorder
https://www.afasic.org.uk/ Afasic seeks to raise awareness and create better services and provision for children and young people with speech and language impairments.